----- Original Message -----
From: "Priscilla Oppenheimer"
Sent: 24 June 2002 2:26 pm
Subject: Re: Rogue Wireless LANs [7:47287]

> At 11:54 AM 6/24/02, chris wrote:
> >WEP for starters, then you can set the acccess point to only accept
> >connections from specific MAC addresses.
>
> I don't think he was asking how to secure a wireless network. He was
asking
> how to control non-IS user types from installing new equipment on the
> network, including wireless LANs.
>
> The question is as old as the hills, really. I remember back in the olden
> days when we had similar problems because people would add modems and
> software-based routers, etc.

Those problems might constitute an instance where the plaintext
authentication mechanisms that modern routing protocols support could serve
a purpose other than RFC-2223 compliance. Their use generally don't provide
an adequate level of security, but they might provide enough of an obstacle
to deter some of the end-users bent on bringing the network down via their
participation on (in?) it.

> Anyway, about the only modern solution I can think of is the MAC-based
> security on switches.
>
> Presumably for this rogue wireless network to work, they first installed
an
> access point into an Ethernet port. That access point has a different MAC
> address than the device that's "supposed" to be on that switch port. So
> MAC-based security on the switch would help because it would say only let
> the configured MAC address in. (I think that's how it works?)
>
> It's probably a huge hassle to do MAC based security, however.
>
> The other solution is based on the eighth layer of the OSI model:
Policies.
> Make your users sign an Acceptable Use Policy statement and make sure
there
> are consequences if they go against it (torture chambers and the like.)
>
> Priscilla
>
> >You can implement LEAP on the
> >cisco AP, radius/tacacs+ requiring user/pass.  Then you could place the
AP