At 11:54 AM 6/24/02, chris wrote:
>WEP for starters, then you can set the acccess point to only accept
>connections from specific MAC addresses.

I don't think he was asking how to secure a wireless network. He was asking
how to control non-IS user types from installing new equipment on the
network, including wireless LANs.

The question is as old as the hills, really. I remember back in the olden
days when we had similar problems because people would add modems and
software-based routers, etc.

Anyway, about the only modern solution I can think of is the MAC-based
security on switches.

Presumably for this rogue wireless network to work, they first installed an
access point into an Ethernet port. That access point has a different MAC
address than the device that's "supposed" to be on that switch port. So
MAC-based security on the switch would help because it would say only let
the configured MAC address in. (I think that's how it works?)

It's probably a huge hassle to do MAC based security, however.

The other solution is based on the eighth layer of the OSI model: Policies.
Make your users sign an Acceptable Use Policy statement and make sure there
are consequences if they go against it (torture chambers and the like.)

Priscilla

>You can implement LEAP on the
>cisco AP, radius/tacacs+ requiring user/pass.  Then you could place the AP
>outside the LAN/Firewall and require VPN to access the LAN resources.
>
>Cisco has good whitepaper on securing wireless.  What you have experienced
>pretty common.
>
>Chris
>""Patrick Donlon""  wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I've just found a wireless LAN set up by someone in the building, I found
>it
> > by chance when I was checking something with a colleague from another
>dept.
> > The WLAN has zero security which is not a surprise and lets the user into
> > the main LAN in the site with a DHCP address served up too! Does anyone
>have
> > any tips on preventing users and dept's who don't think about security
>from
> > plugging whatever they like into the network,
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Pat
> >

> > --
> >
> > email me on : [EMAIL PROTECTED]