----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven A. Ridder"
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2002 10:05 AM
Subject: polycom Video Unit [7:49882]

> Does anyone know what type of traffic a typical Polycom Video Con. unit
> creates?  It it multicast?  What ports does it use?  Is it standard h.323?
>
> I can sniff it, but if anyone has already done their homework on it, it
will
> save me some time.
>
> --
>
> RFC 1149 Compliant.

I suppose it depends on the unit but ours mainly use unicast to the Cisco
MCU.  As far as I know they use standard H.323.  The downside if you're
using an MCU is that the PolyComm units have a lot of different codecs
available that might not be known by the MCU.  For example, the Cisco MCU
can only do G.711 audio, but if you let two video units speak directly to
each other they use G.726 ( I think.  Maybe it's G.722?) and it sounds much
better.

John