"John Neiberger"  wrote in message
> I suppose it depends on the unit but ours mainly use unicast to the Cisco
> MCU.  As far as I know they use standard H.323.  The downside if you're
> using an MCU is that the PolyComm units have a lot of different codecs
> available that might not be known by the MCU.  For example, the Cisco MCU
> can only do G.711 audio, but if you let two video units speak directly to
> each other they use G.726 ( I think.  Maybe it's G.722?) and it sounds
much
> better.

That brings up an interesting question tho.... unless the MCU is converting
between codecs for end stations that might want to use different codecs,
must the MCU "understand" the codec or would it simply act as a relay
startion for that data.....  (i.e. if two end-stations are using a codec
that they understand but the MCU doesn't, would it be a problem since the
MCU would merely forward the "unknown" (to it) audio data to the other end
station).

The Cisco MCU supports many more codecs than G.711 including the popular
G.729 codec (which gives roughly G.711 quality with an 8:1 compression).
The G.722 (you were right.. it's G.722, not G.726) that covers from
50-6900Hz instead of 50-3900Hz as most narrowband codecs do.  So if you're
trying to play more high fidelity sound, you may want to use that.  I
haven't seen many units that support this codec though (but I have by no
means seen tons of units, just a few).  However, if the audio you're
trasmitting is human speech, the G.722 isn't going to gain you much in terms
of sound quality since it would be preserving an additional frequency range
that's not used alot by human speech.

Does anyone have any input or experience with how and/or when the MCU codec
support comes into play?  I would think that if the endpoints are at the
same datarate and using the same audio/video codecs, the MCU would just be a
bounce point and the actual codecs in the MCU wouldn't be utilized....  Just
a theory tho..

Mike W.