The Polycom Viewstations and Via-Video units use unicast UDP (RTP)
traffic for data streams and unicast TCP(RTCP) traffic for signaling and
control.

Part of the initialization process is an agreement on what codec's are
going to be used.  This negotiation process is different depending on if
there is a gatekeeper involved in the conversation.  The important thing
to remember about a 323 MCU is that it is essentially a h.323 terminal.
Any I-frames or K-frames that happen between a terminal and the MCU are
between the terminal and the MCU - not between participants in the
conference.  There is an initialization process between each endpoint
and the MCU that would handle things like data rate and terminal
capabilities.

I would refer you to a handful of whitepapers available on polycom's web
site, especially the ones from PictureTel.
http://www.polycom.com/resource_center/0,1408,997,00.html  The old
pictureTel whitepapers are much better written and easier to use than
anything else I've found on h.323 so far.

There is another excellent resource on the web/mail-list; the h323
forum.  I don't recall the web site right now, do a google search I'm
sure you will hit.

TTFN,
Bill 'VTC over IPSec' Pearch, Anchorage AK