----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael L. Williams"
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2002 1:38 PM
Subject: Re: polycom Video Unit [7:49882]

> "John Neiberger"  wrote in message
> > I suppose it depends on the unit but ours mainly use unicast to the
Cisco
> > MCU.  As far as I know they use standard H.323.  The downside if you're
> > using an MCU is that the PolyComm units have a lot of different codecs
> > available that might not be known by the MCU.  For example, the Cisco
MCU
> > can only do G.711 audio, but if you let two video units speak directly
> > each other they use G.726 ( I think.  Maybe it's G.722?) and it sounds
> much
> > better.
>
> That brings up an interesting question tho.... unless the MCU is
converting
> between codecs for end stations that might want to use different codecs,
> must the MCU "understand" the codec or would it simply act as a relay
> startion for that data.....  (i.e. if two end-stations are using a codec
> that they understand but the MCU doesn't, would it be a problem since the
> MCU would merely forward the "unknown" (to it) audio data to the other end
> station).
>
> The Cisco MCU supports many more codecs than G.711 including the popular
> G.729 codec (which gives roughly G.711 quality with an 8:1 compression).
> The G.722 (you were right.. it's G.722, not G.726) that covers from
> 50-6900Hz instead of 50-3900Hz as most narrowband codecs do.  So if you're
> trying to play more high fidelity sound, you may want to use that.  I
> haven't seen many units that support this codec though (but I have by no
> means seen tons of units, just a few).  However, if the audio you're
> trasmitting is human speech, the G.722 isn't going to gain you much in
terms
> of sound quality since it would be preserving an additional frequency
range
> that's not used alot by human speech.
>
> Does anyone have any input or experience with how and/or when the MCU
codec
> support comes into play?  I would think that if the endpoints are at the
> same datarate and using the same audio/video codecs, the MCU would just be
> bounce point and the actual codecs in the MCU wouldn't be utilized....
Just
> a theory tho..
>
> Mike W.

You pose a good question about the MCU.  I'm not very experienced with
H.323, gatekeepers, and such so I can't answer that.  I know just enough to
be hazardous.

Regarding the G.722, it sounds noticably better than G.711, as witnessed by
a couple of senior Cisco engineers who wanted to witness that (plus a few
other issues) for themselves.  They swore that G.711 should sound just fine,
but compared to G.722 it sounds like someone placed a pillow over the
speaker and it's more difficult to distinguish certain syllables.

John