From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Garrett Allen
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 6:39 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: LAN Design [7:54023]

as a rule of thumb 10mbps ethernet to the user end station is fine for
typical user applications in businesses where the network plant is
switched - exchange, file sharing, etc.  servers on 100mbps.  i'm told that
more data intensive applications may require 100mbps ethernet to the
desktop, but i haven't run into any yet.

that said, before making any design decisions first understand the nature of
the applications and the kind of traffic they generate.  then apply to your
proposed physical layout.  it is similar to the primary rule of woodworking;
measure twice, cut once.

thanks.