The product makes a big difference.  Are you planning to have one switch
with 300 ports or 30 switches with 12 ports? Are you planning to use
VLANs?  If so will there be more than 64?

The traffic pattern makes a huge difference as does the network design.
 If you're using 30 switches daisy-chained with all the servers and
Internet connection at one end, I'd say you're looking for either job
security or a quick termination.  If your design if for a large chassis
switch like a 6500, you probably won't have a problem -- unless all your
client machines want to load applications from a single server connected
at 100Mbps.

What is your *real life* application?  My network has several thousand
users over several hundred switches with mostly 100Mbps uplinks between
switches.  Life is fine until someone runs an IRC bot or multiple people
start Kazaa/Morpheus/Gnutella/etc.  Then we shut off their port.  :-)

We even manage to run multicast audio and video.  Access switches
include models 1900, 2900XL, 3500XL, 4006, 5005, 5505 and 5513.  The
core is 3-5513 with dual everything (well, the important stuff).

One other question...

How much money do you want to spend?

Ken

>>> "Jimmy"  09/25/02 02:17AM >>>
hmm...Let don't talk about product. Just for a general view. Will a
normal
100Mbps switch able to support 300 user? Is it realistic in real life
application?

""Larry Letterman""  wrote in message
> which platform are you going to use for 300 users...
> 6500 ?
> 4006 ?
> or multiple stackables ?
>
> Jimmy wrote:
>
> >Let say if i use a 100Mbps switch for 300 user for each floor. Will
it be
> >very slow? How do i really calculate the BW for each user. Doing an
> >approximation? 100M/300 ?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Jimmy
> >
> >""Jimmy""  wrote in message
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> >>If i have to design network for 3 storey on a building. There are
around
> >>200-300 workstations in 2 storey each. Is it advisable to use
Ethernet to