""Jimmy""  wrote in message
> hmm...Let don't talk about product. Just for a general view. Will a normal
> 100Mbps switch able to support 300 user? Is it realistic in real life
> application?

CL: good idea. so let's start with the fundamentals as I understand them.

assume cat 5 or cat 5e to all stations.
assume three floors.

question: number of users per floor?
question: are you pulling new cable or using existing?
question: all three floors have wiring to a single wiring closet on on floor
( main computer room ) or do you have a main computer room and a data clost
on each floor? if there is a closet on each floor, how are they connected
now? are you willing to pull fiber between the floors in this case?

CL: this last question can help greatly in sorting out equipment
possibilities

question: are there any general security considerations that vlans would
address?

CL: I ask this one because people start throwing vlans at problems without
thinking. For example, if you have only one or two servers that everyone has
to authenticate against and use, then vlans don't necessarily do anything
for you. some folks have correctly pointed out that 300 users is at the very
high end of rule of thumb broadcast domain limits.

question: is budget a concern? if one solution comes in at 150,000 will your
management have apoplexy?

CL:my employer has lots of idle sales engineers who would just love to talk
to you, not to mention sell you something :->