> > Which is why I believe that any new carrier-style technology that is
> > directed  towards the Internet will achieve unnecessarily slow adoption
by
> > the carriers.  Now don't get me wrong, MPLS will be adopted, the real
> > question is how quickly.  If much of the work on MPLS is done mostly on
IP
> > and  Internet features, and not on the more traditional telco features,
> this
> > will slow the adoption of MPLS.   Traditional carriers are not exactly
> > champing at the bit to spend money adopting new Internet technology now
> that
> > financial sanity has returned to the fold (notice how so many carriers
are
> > cancelling or slowing their Internet buildouts?).
>

> CL: not anymore they aren't. see recent announcements by major carriers
> regarding reductions in capital spending, which in turn will adversely
> effect the rest of the food chain.

Let me throw in the following.

When the old-school telcos say that are slashing capital spending, they are
still going to be spending many billions, just less than what they thought
they would spend.  They're not going to spend zero or anywhere near it, just
less.  This is a far cry from the New Age telcos whose 'spending cuts' are
due to their bankruptcies, and whose spending really is going to fall to
zero.

So the point is that there are still billions left to be made by the
vendors - but only if they offer technologies that make sense to the
old-school telcos.  Right now, those telcos are interested in something that
can offer incremental improvements while still providing backwards
compatibility with their existing infrastructure.  Forklift replacements are
definitely out of the question, as is any new technology that will require
extensive testing and validation.