one last shot before going to work ( below ):

""nrf""  wrote in message

snip a bit

> Here I must disagree.  The fact is the traditional carriers basically are
> the market, in the sense that they are the ones with money to spend.  It
> doesn't really matter if the standards bodies come up with all sorts of
cool
> and funky technologies if nobody implements them.   The only providers who
> are really in a position to implement much of anything these days are the
> traditional carriers because they are the only ones who actually have
money
> (practically all of the pure Internet service-providers are bleeding red
ink
> everywhere).   And those traditional carriers are only going to implement
> something to the degree that it is profitable to do so.

CL: given the current carrier announcements of severe reductions in capital
spending, it might seem that carrier based MPLS is moot for the time being
anyway

> Which is why I am concerned for the future of MPLS.  In its original
> conception, MPLS offered the promise for a generalized control-plane that
> could potentially span all the gear that a carrier has to run.  A Grand
> Unified Theory of networking, if you will.
>
> Now, it has become  IP-centric, and Internet-centric in particular (i.e.
the
> involvement of the IETF).    But the fact of the matter is that IP
services
> in general, and the Internet in particular, are still highly unprofitable
> for the carriers.

CL: not to mention the fact that carriers appear just to want to sell
transport lines. the attitude seems to be that routers, switches, modems, or
telephones are all the same - boxes that plug in to what the telcos offer.

 Untold billions have been spent on carrier Internet
> infrastructure with nary a hope of ever getting a semi-reasonable return
on
> investment. The Internet has become a godsend to the consumer but a
> financial nightmare for the carriers.

CL: see previous comment

> Which is why I believe that any new carrier-style technology that is
> directed  towards the Internet will achieve unnecessarily slow adoption by
> the carriers.  Now don't get me wrong, MPLS will be adopted, the real
> question is how quickly.  If much of the work on MPLS is done mostly on IP
> and  Internet features, and not on the more traditional telco features,
this
> will slow the adoption of MPLS.   Traditional carriers are not exactly
> champing at the bit to spend money adopting new Internet technology now
that
> financial sanity has returned to the fold (notice how so many carriers are
> cancelling or slowing their Internet buildouts?).

CL: not anymore they aren't. see recent announcements by major carriers
regarding reductions in capital spending, which in turn will adversely
effect the rest of the food chain.

snip some more