""Howard C. Berkowitz""  wrote in message
> >  > >I got an even more fundamental question - why does MPLS require IP
at
snip a bit >

> I've been involved in Formal International Standards Bodies, where
> the Camel was developed as a functional specification for a Mouse.
> The market and the world are far faster than the carriers would like
> it to be.
>
> When I worked for a primarily carrier-oriented vendor, there were
> deep emotions that they could make IP go away with:
>     (1) Ubiquitous fiber
>     (2) Apparently manually provisioned MPLS, since they equated the
topology
>         to something of equal complexity and hierarchy to what you can do
in
>         SS#7.

CL: not that the top bananas at the various telcos ever talk to me about it,
but I sure have the distinct impression that telcos in general still believe
without question that L3 devices are just boxes that plug into telco
networks. L3 switch, router, CSU, modem, analogue telephone - they're all
the same to a telco, or so it appears to me. hell, even Qwest, which started
out as an innovative transport carrier / CLEC, went and bought themselves a
telco and now look at them :->

snip a bit

> What do you propose as a scalable alternative that doesn't simply
> meet telephony needs?

CL: the question is really "why should a telco care, so long as you buy
whatever it is they want to sell you?" of all the ironies, these days it
seems like my employer's biggest foil is former parent AT&T, who are in our
faces trying to steal all our customers by offering dark fiber - something
we don't want to do because there's nothing in it for us. AT&T the telco is
still selling lines - only they aren't lit. So what does AT&T care about
MPLS, if what they sell is dark? My employer, on the other hand, wants to
sell SONET and gigaman. What do we care about MPLS, just so long as you buy.

CL: Like I said, not that I know a lot about running a telco, but what's in
it for the telco?

snip