""Kent Yu""  wrote in message
> ""nrf""  wrote in message
>
> [snip]
> >
> > And I think this functionality was sadly lost.  Not the transport
> > functionality, but the path-setup functionality.  I think more work
needs
> > be done on the ATM side of things to make MPLS more palatable to
carriers
> > who run lots of ATM and would like to migrate to MPLS but want a smooth
> > transition path.
> >

> Is a smooth transition possible at all?
> If, by transition, you mean running mpls on the atm gears, my impression
was
> carriers seem not like messing their ATM network with mpls,  there always
be
> exceptions. I can see the financial gains of doing this is huge, but a
> smooth transition is just beyond my limited imagination.

Actually, I am thinking more of a situation where instead of buying more ATM
switches, carriers will instead buy multiservice switches that are fully
MPLS capable, but run a kind of MPLS that is fully compatible with ATM
signalling (which unfortunately does not exist right now).  Carriers are
always refreshing their existing ATM networks (because stuff gets old and
fully depreciated), so if stuff needs to get replaced anyway, wouldn't it be
nice to replace it with this kind of switch I'm talking about?  Eventually,
over a period of years, the entire ATM infrastructure would be fully
replaced with MPLS.  But the only way to do this smoothly is if those MPLS
switches were a full and complete drop-in replacement for ATM.

> Let's hope the router vendors can eventually build routers as stable as
ATM
> switches, IMHO, this could come before any smooth transition could be
> invented.

It's not just a matter of making routers more stable, although that's part
of it.  It's also a matter of making LSP's as reliable as ATM VC's.