At 06:04 PM 9/30/2002 +0000, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
>I have an even more fundamental question. ;-) Why does MPLS need a routing
>protocol at all? Obviously, the forwarding of traffic doesn't use it.
>Forwarding is based on the labels. Is it for the label distribution
>component? Couldn't that be done with manual configuration?

Static label assignment is tremendously onerous. Keep in mind that without
a control plane that has some topological awareness, you'd need to
configure label in/out relationships on every transit router in your
network, per LSP.  Try that with 5000 LSPs :)  I'd rather do 5-10 in a low
security prison myself.

Pete