Priscilla,

The real reason not to flame him is because he may come out of retirement
and sue all of us!  :)

Prof. Tom Lisa, CCAI
Community College of Southern Nevada
Cisco ATC/Regional Networking Academy
"Cunctando restituit rem"

Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

  I wouldn't flame the oldest CCDP on the planet ;-), but, what do you
  mean
  you can't ping from HyperTerminal? HyperTerminal just gets you serial
  access
  to the console port.

  Priscilla

  Greg Macaulay wrote:

  > Hi all --
  >
  > I'm suffering thru a terrible newbies type problem and cannot
  > seem to
  > identify the error of my ways.  I know it's something very
  > basic -- and it
  > brings back memories of high school geometry homework where I
  > stared at
  > objects for hours on end trying to understand!!!
  >
  > The thrust of my pitiful situation is: I cannot "ping" from
  > hyperterminal --
  > altho' I can readily "ping" from a DOS prompt on the same PC.
  >
  > I have the parameters set properly 8-N-1-None -- and I have
  > tried with the
  > TFTP server setup on the same PC and on another in my home
  > network (I have
  > 10 pcs in my home network -- most old -- but they still
  > work!).  Neither
  > works.
  >
  > Any suggestions.  And please don't waste time flaming me -- I
  > know I should
  > be able to figure this out -- but even after researching the
  > archives and
  > CCO, I am no closer to a solution than I am to passing the LAB
  > on the first
  > try!!!!!
  >
  > So any and all helpful suggestions would be welcome.
  >
  > Thanks to all -- in advance!!
  > Greg Macaulay
  > Oldest Human Being preparing for the CCIE Lab
  > Lifetime AARP member
  > Retired Attorney/Law Professor
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]