Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
> Good point. If a station can send a packet, such as a ping,
> it's unlikely that there are any physical or data-link-layer
> problems. If it can't receive a packet, it makes sense to look
> above those layers. There are some unidirectional problems, but
> they are pretty rare. Some protocols, including STP, deal with
> the infamous "one-way connectivity" problem, but I bet it
> happens pretty rarely.

Not so rarely Priscilla if we talk about fiber, I have to deal with that
problem 3 or 4 times a year, unfortunately it's quite easy to damage only
partially a fiber optic cable when a hospital is repairing any wall,
disposing a room, ... (and they are always doing that sort of things!).
Believe me, the "one-way connectivity" problem is one of the worst problems
that you can have in a LAN.