David j wrote:

> Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
> > Good point. If a station can send a packet, such as a ping,
> > it's unlikely that there are any physical or data-link-layer
> > problems. If it can't receive a packet, it makes sense to look
> > above those layers. There are some unidirectional problems,
> but
> > they are pretty rare. Some protocols, including STP, deal with
> > the infamous "one-way connectivity" problem, but I bet it
> > happens pretty rarely.
>
> Not so rarely Priscilla if we talk about fiber, I have to deal
> with that problem 3 or 4 times a year, unfortunately it's quite
> easy to damage only partially a fiber optic cable when a
> hospital is repairing any wall, disposing a room, ... (and they
> are always doing that sort of things!). Believe me, the
> "one-way connectivity" problem is one of the worst problems
> that you can have in a LAN.

Thanks for setting me straight. I believe you that one-way connectivity
problems are more common than I was thinking and a bear to troubleshoot.

Actually it wasn't relevant anyway, although I'm glad I brought it up just
the same for learning purposes. But his PC can send pings and receive ping
replies. It's just not answering pings to it. So, my conclusion was correct
(to look above the PHY and MAC layers) even if my premise was bogus. And I'm
the one who harps on people to be logical! ;-)

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com