s vermill wrote:

> Cisco Newbie wrote:
> >
> > I have a question that has been bothering me.  If a packet
> > traverses a
> >
> > L3 devices, does the sorce MAC changes?  When does/doesn't the
> > source MAC address changes?
> >
> > thanks.

> > Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now
> >

> The source MAC changes everytime the IP packet moves through a
> L3 device.

Yes, and that's also true for an AppleTalk, IPX, DECnet, Banyan packet, for
what it's worth. Not a whole lot, I suppose, although it may help one
understand a router's behavior.

A router takes in a frame on an input interface, decapsulates it from the L2
header, figures out the output interface, and deals with the relevant L2
issues for the type of L2 protocol on the output interface, including
puttting on a new L2 header.

For example, if the output interface is Ethernet, the router does CSMA and
makes sure the frame is transmitted without encountering a (legal)
collision. If it were Token Ring or FDDI, the router would make the output
interface could get a token and attach the frame. If it's Frame Relay, it
doesn't have to do much, since that's not a shared medium. The router would
not, however, in most cases, monitor whether the frame arrived intact. With
most L2 protocols, it has no way of knowing that.

Priscilla

Even in Multilayer Switching (MLS), where an