Larry Letterman wrote:

> In most cases you will only re-write the source mac address
> when traversing
> across a L3 device.

I don't think that's so.  A host will have an ARP cache entry for its
gateway.  That would be the destination MAC.  The source MAC would be that
of the sending host itself.  Using its own ARP cache, the gateway would
re-write both the source and destination MAC if the destination was, in
fact, directly attached to (or reachable via) another Ethernet interface.
If not, and the packet needed to cross some serial WAN link, both MACs would
simply be stripped off.  Every L3 device strips off source and dest. MAC at
ingress.  Whether or not a new source and dest. MAC is encapsulated around
the IP packet depends on whether or not the destination is reachable via