Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> s vermill wrote:
> >
> > Larry Letterman wrote:
> > >
> > > In most cases you will only re-write the source mac address
> > > when traversing
> > > across a L3 device.
> >
> > I don't think that's so.
>
> Did you misplace your comment?

No.  I disagree that a source MAC re-write would be all that takes place
when crossing a L3 device.  Host A, sending to an off-subnet Host B, would
use its own MAC as the source and the L3 device interface MAC as the
destination.  The L3 device strips both at ingress.  If, in fact, the
destination is on a directly attached shared medium, the source MAC is
re-writen to that of the egress interface.  The destination MAC is whatever
the L3 device has in the ARP cache for Host B.  Both source and destination
MACs change when crossing a L3 device.  Doesn't it sound like Larry is
saying that the source MAC is all that changes and not the destination MAC?
Or maybe I just took that wrong?

I think his first comment is