The documentation is not very accurate on this as you have
discovered.    Thanks for pointing this out, I am beta testing a version
2 of the WIC-1DSU-T1 and it is not optional, I will pass this on.

   Aside from testing though I have never needed to change the default
in the real world.  The defaults let you loop the CSU with a standard
issue T-BERD.

   Dave

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00800874e6.html#1019309

--
David Madland
CCIE# 2016

"You don't make the poor richer by making the rich poorer." --Winston
Churchill