Amar KHELIFI wrote:

> sorry i don't agree.
> check the bandwidth calculator on the net, u will see that i
> was correct.
> + for the K and k and B and b, it is so obvious that an
> explanation is not
> necessary...........
> thanx for letting my messages show up normally and then respond
> them............;

I don't know what bandwidth calculator you're talking about but I suspect it
measures throughput based on bytes.  That's fine (and is, in fact, exactly
the source of confusion I was talking about).  Computers deal in bytes and
so they're interested in how many bytes per second they can download.  But a
WAN circuit, which has nothing to do with computers, doesn't care about
bytes.  It lives in a bit world.  A 32kbps circuit operates at 32,000 bits
per second.  With a good many years designing, building, and troubleshooting
WANs under my belt, I can say this with some authority.  I've directly
observed thousands of WAN circuits with WAN analyzers.  I know what rates
they operate at.

But don't take my word for it.  Study the Digital Plesiochronous Hierarchy
for yourself.  You will find that the basic WAN unit is a DS0, which
operates at 64kbps.  That's 64,0000 bps.  In North America, the next step up
is the DS1.  It consists of 24 DS0s multiplexed together plus 8 kbps
overhead.  Multiply 24 by 64,000 and add 8,000.  You get 1,544,000 bps.
Ever heard of that data rate?  If not, you may be more familiar with the
European system -- which also starts with a basic unit of 64,000 bps.
Regardless of which hierarchy you look at, you'll find that the math doesn't
add up according to your calculations.  For example, 24 multiplied by 64
multiplied by 1024 plus 8kbps overhead would add up to 1,580,864bps.  Most
certainly not a DS1.