Being in the "CLEC" business I can tell you that we typically refer to T3
when discussing "Transport only" type ciruits of 45Mbps from point to point.
When we refer to putting services on it, such as Frame Relay, ATM, PPP,
voice (PRI, Trunks, etc) then we usually refer to them as DS3.

However, they are certainly used interchangibly by most.

A T1 or T3 is a "Carrier" as explained below:

To see the relationship between T-carrier, E-carrier, and DS0 multiples, see
digital signal X.
The T-carrier system, introduced by the Bell System in the U.S. in the
1960s, was the first successful system that supported digitized voice
transmission. The original transmission rate (1.544 Mbps) in the T-1 line is
in common use today in Internet service provider (ISP) connections to the
Internet. Another level, the T-3 line, providing 44.736 Mbps, is also
commonly used by Internet service providers. Another commonly installed
service is a fractional T-1, which is the rental of some portion of the 24
channels in a T-1 line, with the other channels going unused.

The T-carrier system is entirely digital, using pulse code modulation and
time-division multiplexing. The system uses four wires and provides duplex
capability (two wires for receiving and two for sending at the same time).
The T-1 digital stream consists of 24 64-Kbps channels that are multiplexed.
(The standardized 64 Kbps channel is based on the bandwidth required for a
voice conversation.) The four wires were originally a pair of twisted pair
copper wires, but can now also include coaxial cable, optical fiber, digital
microwave, and other media. A number of variations on the number and use of
channels are possible.

In the T-1 system, voice signals are sampled 8,000 times a second and each
sample is digitized into an 8-bit word. With 24 channels being digitized at
the same time, a 192-bit frame (24 channels each with an 8-bit word) is thus
being transmitted 8,000 times a second. Each frame is separated from the
by 8,000 and the additional 8,000 framing bits make up the T-1's 1.544 Mbps
data rate. The signaling bits are the least significant bits in each frame.

A DS0/1/3 is a Digital signal carried by the "T" carrier as explained below:

Digital signal X is a term for the series of standard digital transmission
rates or levels based on DS0, a transmission rate of 64 Kbps, the bandwidth
normally used for one telephone voice channel. Both the North American
T-carrier system system and the European E-carrier systems of transmission
operate using the DS series as a base multiple. The digital signal is what
is carried inside the carrier system.
DS0 is the base for the digital signal X series. DS1, used as the signal in
the T-1 carrier, is 24 DS0 (64 Kbps) signals transmitted using pulse-code
modulation (PCM) and time-division multiplexing (TDM). DS2 is four DS1
signals multiplexed together to produce a rate of 6.312 Mbps. DS3, the
signal in the T-3 carrier, carries a multiple of 28 DS1 signals or 672 DS0s
or 44.736 Mbps.

Digital signal X is based on the ANSI T1.107 guidelines. The ITU-TS
guidelines differ somewhat.