s vermill wrote:

> Nate wrote:
> >
> > We've run a bandwidth test on our DS3 with nothing connected
> > it but a
> > workstation (and obviously a router/pix).  We went to
> > testmyspeed.com as
> > well as dslreports.com.  We both got very good bandwidth tests
> > (upward 6m/s)
> > however in transferring a 200m file to/from a workstation
> > behind the
> > connection, we got over 30 minutes while our existing T1 got
> 26
> > minutes.
> > Anyone mind explaining this phenomenon?  Just a side note, we
> > have no
> > encryption between GRE tunnels.  Thanks in advanced.
> >
> > -Nate
> >

> Nate,
>
> A few rambling thoughts in addition to those already offered:
>
> Where is this 200MB file?  On a lightning-fast server on a
> lightning-fast LAN connected to a lightning-fast router with a
> lightning fast connection to the Internet?  In other words, is
> the file location the bottleneck?  Because 26 minutes on even a
> T1 is TERRIBLE.

That's a good point. I wondered why the transfer was taking 26 minutes also.

Since he said he tested with those other tools and got 6m/sec (I guess he
meant 6 megabits per second which is OK, thought not great), the file
transfer speed is probably due to a really slow server or maybe a slow
client. We may be able to rule out the router and firewall since they were
in the picture for the other tests too. However, they might be relevant
since they were undoubtedly applying different rules when doing the file
transfer versus the other tests.

With a sniffer you can often tell where the bottleneck resides. Or maybe it
will be obvious because he'll tell us that the server or client is a 286
sitting on dial-up home network. Just kidding. He should do some more tests
and if he wants our help, give us more info. What is the server? What is its
OS? Was it FTP he was using? What about the client? What is the config on
the router and firewall? What else has he not told us about NAT, VPN,
tunnels, etc.? What variables were different for the one test versus the
other?

Priscilla