""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> s vermill wrote:
> >
> > Nate wrote:
> > >
> > > We've run a bandwidth test on our DS3 with nothing connected
> > > it but a
> > > workstation (and obviously a router/pix).  We went to
> > > testmyspeed.com as
> > > well as dslreports.com.  We both got very good bandwidth tests
> > > (upward 6m/s)
> > > however in transferring a 200m file to/from a workstation
> > > behind the
> > > connection, we got over 30 minutes while our existing T1 got
> > 26
> > > minutes.
> > > Anyone mind explaining this phenomenon?  Just a side note, we
> > > have no
> > > encryption between GRE tunnels.  Thanks in advanced.
> > >

> Since he said he tested with those other tools and got 6m/sec (I guess he
> meant 6 megabits per second which is OK, thought not great), the file

The above is what I key'ed in on as the last test transfer he had done over
the new path.  Which is why I had originally suggested to tune tcp(the URL's
below the jokes were seen weren't they?) since a single tcp session at 6Mbps
crossing the continent(country) could be within expectations.  In most stock
tcp's and a 80ms RTT he would need a packet loss rate near .02%(.0002)  to
get 6Mbps.  Nothing unrealistic about those numbers and it seemed to me
someone just wanted to see 40+ Mbps numbers.  But I overlooked the part
about 30minutes over the DS3.

Regarding the concerns about the 26 minute T1 transer.  Maybe I'm a little
too sleep deprived from doing datacenter moves, but I don't see the issue
with....
26minutes for a 200MB(bytes) file is roughly 1Mbps, don't forget overhead
too.  That's completely within norm for a single TCP session between two
reasonably distant endpoints bandlimited by a T1.

Back to the DS3 being slower for this one.  As everyone has been saying
break down the problem.  My guess would be you've got some major performance
inhibiting thing like a duplex mismatch somewhere and by being able to ramp
up transmit speeds quicker the session is smacked back down due to the
loss(from duplex mismatch).  What might be the simpliest suggestion for
testing is to start up the file transfer and while it's running do a
traceroute(large packet size if you could) from one end-host to the far end
and see if you notice a place of particularly high loss to go look at.

My appologies for overlooking the note about 30minute 200MB transfer over
DS3(not T1),
Darrell