Nate wrote:

> We've run a bandwidth test on our DS3 with nothing connected to
> it but a
> workstation (and obviously a router/pix).  We went to
> testmyspeed.com as
> well as dslreports.com.  We both got very good bandwidth tests
> (upward 6m/s)
> however in transferring a 200m file to/from a workstation
> behind the
> connection, we got over 30 minutes while our existing T1 got 26
> minutes.
> Anyone mind explaining this phenomenon?  Just a side note, we
> have no
> encryption between GRE tunnels.  Thanks in advanced.
>
> -Nate

Nate,

A few rambling thoughts in addition to those already offered:

Where is this 200MB file?  On a lightning-fast server on a lightning-fast
LAN connected to a lightning-fast router with a lightning fast connection to
the Internet?  In other words, is the file location the bottleneck?  Because
26 minutes on even a T1 is TERRIBLE.

Also, the download test sites don't do file tranfer using FTP in general.
They establish an HTTP/TCP/IP session and dump a BUNCH of random text.  So
the control mechanisms are different between the test and the "real world"
file transfer.

Perhaps more rambling thoughts later...