David,

While I agree, to some extent, with your concerns, I cannot help but wonder why
you waited until now to raise this issue.  The fact that ClamAV <=0.94 would
stop working on April 15 was first announced six months ago, on October 6,
2009.  Surely this question would have been better asked then, when you had
more than six months to plan for the change, rather than now, when you have
only 8 days.

My company had hundreds of appliances in the field running versions of ClamAV
affected by this change.  When we saw the announcement, we immediately started
working on figuring out how we were going to get them updated by April 15, and
we succeeded in doing so.

I agree with you that ClamAV 0.94 was end-of-lifed too early.  I, too, think it
was unreasonable for the ClamAV developers to kill a software version that was
released less than 2 years ago and obsoleted only a year ago.  Nevertheless, if
your company is currently facing an "emergency" because of this change, then
you seem to have forced it upon yourselves by waiting this long to figure out
how to address it.

  Jik

--
Jonathan Kamens