Jonathan Kamens wrote:

> My company had hundreds of appliances in the field running versions of
> ClamAV affected by this change. When we saw the announcement, we
> immediately started working on figuring out how we were going to get
> them updated by April 15, and we succeeded in doing so.

We have hundreds of appliances too.  Those are easy.  Most customers
enable automatic updates and have long since upgraded, and those that
haven't are easy to find and to upgrade.

The problem is we have some customers who prefer RPM versions of our
software, and still others who install from source on platforms like
NetBSD, Solaris and FreeBSD.  We have no administrative control over
their machines, yet if something goes wrong, they (quite reasonably)
call us.

So even though 80% or more of our user-base is fine, I still dread
hundreds of support calls come the 15th.  It doesn't do *us* any good
to say "We told you to upgrade... why didn't you?" when some irate
caller's mail is down.

So anyway... to try to make something constructive out of this thread,
I have a feature suggestion: Incorporate the version number in your
DNS TXT records and download URLs.  Your download mirrors can use
symlinks in most cases (when versions are completely compatible) and
you can easily stop older machines from attempting to download by
stopping updates on the 0.96.whatever.clamav.net TXT record.

Regards,

David.