On some rpm linux, eg RH5 for example, there is yum. You can provide them a
private yum server and this will done.

On FreeBSD, there is packages, same add a correct line into /etc/make.conf and
portupgrade -pP will fix this for you.

How about you do us all a favor and cut out the patronizing?

Everyone involved in this discussion knows how automated package upgrades work.
 This is not the point...

6 months for a security software is big. Do you forgot to upgrade your IOS or
Firewall software ?

The IOS and Firewall vendors provide safe, minimal upgrade paths to address
security concerns.  They support software releases for years.  See, for
example, the Symantec policy I referenced earlier in this discussion, which
indicates that Symantec supports any software it releases for SEVEN YEARS after
the next major version is released.

The ClamAV team cannot justify putting themselves in the same vote as "your IOS
or Firewall software" unless they're willing to make the same kind of support
commitment.  But they don't.  They put out new releases at least once per year
and usually more than that, each new release contains substantial new
functionality (and usually substantial new bugs to go along with it), and they
don't issue security patches for old releases once new ones come out.

Clamav is security software,

Yes, it is, which is why it's all the more important for its authors and
maintainers to provide reasonable upgrade paths to address security concerns
for people and organizations who are not prepared to take the latest and
greatest stuff within months after it is released.

Make no mistake, I think ClamAV is a nice package, I'm glad it exists, I'm
grateful to the people who have put time and effort into creating, maintaining
and enhancing it, and my company will continue to use it as part of our
product's open-source platform.  However, all of these things being true does
not change the fact that I agree with David Skoll that the ClamAV maintainers
sometimes show little regard for the real-world consumers of the package.

The plain, simple fact is that there are other ways this could and should have
been handled.

  Jik