Hi there,

Le 8 avr. 2010 à 03:11, David F. Skoll a écrit :

> Jonathan Kamens wrote:
>
>> My company had hundreds of appliances in the field running versions of
>> ClamAV affected by this change. When we saw the announcement, we
>> immediately started working on figuring out how we were going to get
>> them updated by April 15, and we succeeded in doing so.
>
> We have hundreds of appliances too.  Those are easy.  Most customers
> enable automatic updates and have long since upgraded, and those that
> haven't are easy to find and to upgrade.
>
> The problem is we have some customers who prefer RPM versions of our
> software, and still others who install from source on platforms like
> NetBSD, Solaris and FreeBSD.  We have no administrative control over
> their machines, yet if something goes wrong, they (quite reasonably)
> call us.

On some rpm linux, eg RH5 for example, there is yum. You can provide them a
private yum server and this will done.
On FreeBSD, there is packages, same add a correct line into /etc/make.conf and
portupgrade -pP will fix this for you.

> So even though 80% or more of our user-base is fine, I still dread
> hundreds of support calls come the 15th.  It doesn't do *us* any good
> to say "We told you to upgrade... why didn't you?" when some irate
> caller's mail is down.

6 months for a security software is big. Do you forgot to upgrade your IOS or
Firewall software ?
Clamav is security software, if you don't upgrade it, then... you have to be
angry with you not author of free software like clamav.

/Xavier