[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >  Once again, a sending server does not have to be a MX. Something
> >  within that domain should be listening on port 25, but not always the
> >  machine which is connecting to yours. Look at the hostname of my
> >  machine in the headers. You will see it has rDNS and fDNS, but is not
> >  a MX for the domain.

> True, but it could helo with its hostname and then it would match
> connecting back to check its 220 string.  Even if its a sending server,
> it should listen on 25 to verify that it is a mail server, even if it
> doesn't accept mail.  If it doesn't listen on 25 (or isn't accessable)
> then it is a client and should be using some type of smtp-auth with the
> server to relay through it, or to one of its recipients.  IMO, If you
> send a lot of mail, you should listen on port 25, even if you don't
> accept mail.

 By that theory, we should ban most large providers and mailing lists.
There are a countless number of companies that allow outgoing connections
only from their servers. That theory is vastly flawed and will not work.
Period. Also, any sending server is a client, irrelevant of whether it
works in client and server mode. The connecting machine is *always* a
client.

Matt