rick pim wrote:
> Dennis Peterson writes:
>  > But we know from the volumes of spam and viruses now approaching
>  > if not exeeding 90% that you are the exception, not the norm.
>

> spam yes, viruses..... not so much. our experience has been that
> email-borne viruses are way, way down: yesterday's logs from one of
> our mail gateways said there were about 15 viruses caught in something
> more than half-a-million email messages.
>
> phishing is up, of course, but viruses (i'm one of those folks that
> mentally files phishing under 'spam') are way down.

Of course - it takes just one virus to create the opportunity to
distribute unlimited amounts of spam so the ratios are smaller. Viruses
are the more serious problem, though. And to follow up on the earlier
point about Windows systems not being the sole source of spam/virus
distribution,
http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2008/03/28/terrifying-computer-owners-part-x/?mod=WSJBlog&mod=WSJBlog

Two minutes to hack a Mac and it's now available to generate spam and
become a drone to spread malware for other Macs or Windows systems.

dp