Ben wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Joe Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>  Wow - as a long term IT professional I thought I'd heard it all but this
>>  takes the cake. In all the past waves of viruses we've seen, they have
>>  been analyzed in depth and found to be 100% windows. If you have some
>>  evidence to the contrary feel free to share.
>
> Even then, like I wrote before:
> Stupid people (and stupid admins, like the ones in this list)
> are responsible for contamination, in general, not the OS
> or the software they use. We have a nice saying over here:
> "Het is de kok, niet de keuken!"
> May exist in your language as well: It's the cook, not the kitchen.
> Those who read mail from my mailserver are not stupid.

The problem is not that competent administrators can't run their systems
effectively and use policy rather than software to achieve a clean
system. But we know from the volumes of spam and viruses now approaching
if not exeeding 90% that you are the exception, not the norm. That means
there's a huge number of people out there that are not doing the job
right through intelligent administration and they should be doing the
next best thing to better control outgoing spam and viruses. The
solution so far has put the burden on the receiving system when the
problem is and has always been on the sending side. It just seems like a
good idea to do all we can to end the problem of outgoing malware.

Don't take it personally if it doesn't apply - there are a lot of good
practices that don't apply to everyone.

dp