Yes, file synchronization is difficult. But we *started out* using the
provided (i.e., standard) freshclam tool to update our daily.cvd (etc.).
I only built our current non-standard tool (reading the file header)
when the Cloudflare mirrors started serving out-of-date file versions
which caused freshclam to fail and blacklist the mirror (which
eventually resulted in all mirrors being blacklisted).

This says to me that the old, "standard", DNS TXT approach built in to
freshclam doesn't play well with Cloudflare (or similar mirrors?).