Hi there,

On Wed, 19 Jan 2022, colin course via clamav-users wrote:

i dont like the cron job because it saying as far as i can tell
its excluding those directories not scanning them .

It's only excluding some directories, but if you wish you can just
remove those exclusions.  However it is only scanning one directory,
and you don't seem to be complaining about that.  To use ClamAV to
best effect you need to have a fair idea of what you want to do and
why you want to do it.  You also need to have a pretty good plan to
put into action for the time when something nasty is actually found
(even if it wasn't ClamAV that found it :).

even if it did it would find zilch as there are no virus signatures on my laptop

Straying back onto the topic now. :)  That's the part that we can most
easily do something about.  It will be baby steps, starting with the
collecting of information.  If you're up for it, start by telling me
about the laptop.  Exactly what is it, and how much memory and storage
(hard disc, or whatever it uses instead of a hard disc) does it have?
Exactly what is the operating system and exactly how was it installed?

You say you've installed ClamAV and ClamTK too.  Same questions as OS.

Please be detailed and precise in your answers, or I'll just ask the
same questions over and over again until you buckle.  I should say I'm
unfamiliar with ClamTK but I gather that it's more or less just a GUI
interface to ClamAV.  As far as possible I avoid GUI interfaces.  I'd
suggest you don't try to do anything at all with ClamTK until we've
established that you have ClamAV properly installed with an up-to-date
signature database, but at this point that's probably getting ahead of
ourselves - let's work on the basic ClamAV installation first.  It may
take some time.

virus explanation
started with a windows os  there used to be a yellow banner across the top
of the browser  saying   "there is a page slowing down your browser ...

Browsers often say that.  Usually it's simply because the person who
wrote the code for a Web page or site was incompetent.  Sometimes it's
because they're trying to use your computer (through your browser) for
some purpose of their own but there's no reason to jump to conclusions
without more information.

would you  call a virus that can morph in to three  different flies a virus ?

I really don't know what to make of that question.  It doesn't give me
anything like enough to go on.  It's a bit like saying "would a cake
that can morph into three different pies still be called a cake?".  If
you can give me some specifics I can try to give a better answer.

i thought i was getting rid of the binary files but they were changing into
some other file
choices ara  a folder ,a binary file  or a text abc file

Do not delete binary files (nor mess with permissions) until you
understand what you're doing.  By the sound of it you're a very long
way from understanding how a Unix system works.  If you mess with it
without understanding it then you'll be a bigger threat to the system
than the threats that you're imagining that you're protecting it from.

some are only obviouse because the are binary on a linux supposedly
system and are tied in to the operating system took the tick out of
the box for an excec file and systems monitor stopped working

Nothing is obvious at this point.  I don't know what you mean by being
obvious because it's "binary on a linux supposedly system".  It sounds
to me like you mean there shouldn't be binaries on a Linux system, and
if that is what you mean then (a) it's nonsense and (b) you would give
the impression that you've jumped to more conclusions.

there are nurmouse strange ocurrances  i have wittnesed  one that comes
to mind is a tab flashing up and was   gone in the blink of an eye

You don't have to worry about things like that.  Most of the malicious
software in existence goes to quite a lot of trouble to make itself at
least very stealthy, if not undetectable.  If you need to worry about
anything, then it's about things that you can't see at all.  That may
be one reason for using a virus scanner - although in my view perhaps
not a particularly good one.

did you work out the souce  ? i hope that was understandable at least
if i throw this down the rubbish C???? 64  or a 32 B?? swap the two parts and
put them together

Sorry, you completely lost me.

... a rat ... in the corner of the room ... its wicked purpose ...

Only people are wicked.  One of my dogs is sometimes a bit naughty,
but it doesn't make her any less lovable.  Maybe more.  The rat is
just trying to survive, and pass on its genes.

--

73,
Ged.