On Dec 31, 8:13 am, "Mark Volkmann" <r.mark.volkm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Suppose you had been studying Clojure for one week before coming
> across this code. Would you know what was going on here? Let's see ...
> we've got an anonymous function that uses an anonymous function which
> iterates some number of times calling dosync on a doseq ... alter
> changes the value of a ref ... it uses a future ... My fear is that
> many developers will become discouraged and stop trying to learn
> Clojure, fearing that it's just too hard. I think we need to work to
> minimize those kinds of reactions to sample code. Adding some comments
> to non-obvious code is one way to do that.

The misfortune is that a code which is pretty much just an academic
example is having that effect.  Maybe the right thing to do is to
point to the "ants" demo or some demo which accomplishes an
interesting task?  The trouble is, it's hard to come up with
meaningful concurrent code that fits on a single web page ;-)

> I don't mean to single out this one example. Many examples of Clojure
> code seem equally daunting to me and most Clojure code seems to
> contain no comments at all.

Just wait until you see mine ;-P  (It's practically an essay.)

mfh