> A more fundamental question than how best to do it is - who needs
> this? Does someone have a real need for parallel let?
>
> Rich

is "parallel let" just a conventional description?  What I mean is that it
seems like I could provide an argument c) to that list, namely, that, some
day, the assignments really could happen in a concurrent fashion.  It's like
how I think "const" was set up as a keyword in java (I think?) just in case
they needed it some day.  It also reminds me of how, from what I remember,
Dijkstra would make his "if clauses" independent.  That way they could be
reordered harmlessly.  By having disjoint conditions, you could also imagine
different processes testing each condition in parallel ... knowing only one
would succeed, and no ordering specifies any priority/preference.