On Mar 20, 2009, at 14:35, Joshua Fox wrote:

> I thought of let  as a sort of variable declaration, and so, one
> would want to keep it simple and not do complex calculations in the
> let binding expressions.
>
> On the other hand, the  sequential mutually-dependent let bindings
> are of course legal Clojure and completely immutability-safe.
>
> If it is considered idomatic, then that's great, as it safely
> simulates the sequential building up of values  usual to procedural
> programs.

Exactly. As I explain in my monad tutorial (http://onclojure.com/
2009/03/05/a-monad-tutorial-for-clojure-programmers-part-1/), let is
just an optimized implementation of the identity monad. As such it
looks like the "natural" way to write multi-step computations in
which each step depends on the results of the preceding ones. In
fact, how would you write such computations otherwise?

Konrad.