2009/4/17 Tom Faulhaber <tomfaulha...@gmail.com>:
> While I agree that "what is clojure.contrib?" is a pretty big issue, I
> think we could leave it a little fuzzy for a while longer. One thing
> we should probably do is do a real comparison of how we stack up
> against python's "batteries included" model and see how we need to
> address that. (To my mind, the python library has always felt very ad
> hoc.)

One of the best things about the Python library being
batteries-included is that it's easy for newcomers to get started.

> I'd also like to see a little more focus on the perl/python/ruby
> equivalence from a newbie perspective. That is, more clarity around
> startup, script execution (including having an equivalent to python's
> "if  __name__ == '__main__':" construct), class path management, etc.
> I know that this is one area where being in the JVM ecosystem makes
> our life worse rather than better, but approaching Clojure is still a
> bit daunting compared to these other languages.

This is one of the main problems with clojure-contrib for me.  I think
it would be awkward to have a 1.0 release with clojure-contrib left as
is and would cause confusion for newcomers.

Unless I am mistaken there are still many open questions regarding how
clojure-contrib is integrated with clojure such as its dependency
relationship with clojure.jar for example.  Surely, this sort of thing
needs ironing out before a 1.0 release?

I think various comments in the following recent thread summarises
some of the main issues well:

http://groups.google.com/group/clojure/browse_thread/thread/9cd8dbe421285be7/eae77c266022dc5e?lnk=raot

Paul.
--
Iode Software Ltd, registered in England No. 6299803.

Registered Office Address: 12 Sancroft Drive, Houghton-le-Spring, Tyne
& Wear, DH5 8NE.

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("the
intended recipient(s)") to whom it is addressed. It may contain
information which is privileged and confidential within the meaning of
applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender as soon as possible. The views expressed in this
communication may not necessarily be the views held by The Company.