> I do not agree with John Newman that the Java standard library
> should be the Clojure standard library.

I'm not saying that.  I'm saying that:

1) Requiring Java's standard library on every system is unfortunate enough
-- it's too big for some of the smaller devices coming out now. And,

2) One way to maintain Clojure's flexibility would be if it were like what
the kernel is to a Linux distribution.  What if every distribution had to
use the same standard set of packages?  The Linux ecosystem is much richer
today because the kernel can develop somewhat independently of the
applications that target it.

Eventually, clojure-contrib will be much much larger than clojure the
language.  If clojure-contrib is Clojure's "standard", most of the work
involved in developing "Clojure 2.0" won't be in core but in hammering on
contrib.  If that's what people want then great. It just seems like a less
flexible solution to me.

One way to compensate for a lack of "batteries included" might be a
powerful, agnostic library management solution, which allows for different
contrib libraries, VMs, or architectures, but that definitely seems like a
2.0 feature.

--
John