On 22/03/2010, at 9:28 AM, e wrote:

> And don't get me started on trying to get emacs or vi all hooked up on my
> mac.  I've never succeeded.

I'm about to use Clojure commercially, but it's been a frustrating exercise
getting setup. I've ended up using LaClojure on IntelliJ, but that wasn't
trivial because of a plugin versioning issue. CCW doesn't autoindent (I know
that's coming) and I've been unable to get Enclojure's project REPL to work
when using Clojure 1.2. I had a stretch of using almost Emacs exclusively for
15 years, but compared to any IDE thats absolutely not newbie friendly, and not
as good as an IDE IMO. In any case, the package manager hangs 80% of the time
trying to grab stuff from the net.

IMHO a significant sociological issue is that so many clojure devs use Emacs,
are coming at this from a 'rebirth-of-lisp' POV, and seem to have adopted the
cultural values of Lisp when it comes to development practices. To be
successful however Clojure needs to adopt 'mainstream' values - introduce just
one 'different' thing i.e. the language, rather than expecting people to adopt
both the language, and a different development environment / toolchain e.g.
leiningen etc (which IMO is classic NIH). You can't cross the chasm with too
much baggage. Personally I don't believe this will happen unless core
developers use the tools and practices that users want to use. The end-user
itches and the developer itches need to be aligned.

Just my $0.02.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

It's amazing that the one side of the conversation that survived is "I don't
know art, but I know what I like". The reply from the artist was "Madam, so
does a cow".
  -- Carl Kirkendall