But if he had never been in the Java mindset it wouldn't be obvious to
him that
there is nothing to be gained by compiling your own java code.
Platform independence,
bytecode etc means that a jar file of the stable build is the optimum
solution. That is so
obvious to us we forget that its a revolution for someone new to java.
So he probably
went down some compile from source to optimise for your architecture
route that made
perfect sense to him, but led him onto a iceberg (the captain of the
titanic *knew* that a
ship could turn in time because that is what all his previous
experience
on smaller ships led him to believe)