On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 22/03/2010, at 9:28 AM, e wrote:
>
> > And don't get me started on trying to get emacs or vi all hooked up on my
> mac.  I've never succeeded.
>
> I'm about to use Clojure commercially, but it's been a frustrating exercise
> getting setup. I've ended up using LaClojure on IntelliJ, but that wasn't
> trivial because of a plugin versioning issue. CCW doesn't autoindent (I know
> that's coming) and I've been unable to get Enclojure's project REPL to work
> when using Clojure 1.2. I had a stretch of using almost Emacs exclusively
> for 15 years, but compared to any IDE thats absolutely not newbie friendly,
> and not as good as an IDE IMO. In any case, the package manager hangs 80% of
> the time trying to grab stuff from the net.

Many people use Emacs at this point only because it has the best Clojure
support thus far. This will change in time. It's still early days. 1 year
ago (when Clojure was one years (1 1/2?) old) it was impossible to even
pretty-print macroexpansion!

> IMHO a significant sociological issue is that so many clojure devs use
> Emacs, are coming at this from a 'rebirth-of-lisp' POV, and seem to have
> adopted the cultural values of Lisp when it comes to development practices.
> To be successful however Clojure needs to adopt 'mainstream' values -
> introduce just one 'different' thing i.e. the language, rather than
> expecting people to adopt both the language, and a different development
> environment / toolchain e.g. leiningen etc (which IMO is classic NIH). You
> can't cross the chasm with too much baggage. Personally I don't believe this
> will happen unless core developers use the tools and practices that users
> want to use. The end-user itches and the developer itches need to be
> aligned.

I don't think any of the current Clojure library maintainers believe in an
Emacs or Lein only future. I think as more and more people adopt varying
tool sets, libraries will evolve to support the varying kinds of dev
environments.

These kinds of things don't happen overnight. Or even in a year. A lot of
people have to adopt Clojure for these things to improve. And improve they
have. If things improve at the pace they have been, before long most of
these concerns will be thing of the distant past.

I think part of the problem is that so many things about Clojure work so
well. You expect everything to magically work!

While I sympathize with the OP, I think the OP was trolling just a tad. I
mean clearly noone on this list has a slackware setup, thus the less than
helpful responses. But Clojure is just too young to have a large base of
developers with every hardware/software configuration out there. It would
have been more constructive if the OP had sludged through it and shared his
insights as many of us have sludged through it so that we can spread our
collective knowledge about how to make hacking on Clojure as fun as possible
in many different environments.

David