It certainly does seem strange coming from the Java world, where ear
files and deployment descriptors can be intimidating. The idea that
adding a couple jar files and the source tree to
the classpath is 'too hard' makes me wonder what language he was
coming from.

I was asked to give a simple 'hands on clojure' thing at a Java users
group. I wanted to spend
minimal time on environment setup, so I had these java developers put
the jars and my starter script in a directory, cd into it, and add .
to the classpath.
Out of the room of programmers I had one person have trouble getting
the starter project to come up pretty much immediately, and whatever
his issue was I fixed it in a few seconds.

For the record, I downloaded and installed Rebol - took about the same
time to get to where I was fiddling with code and not environment as
it did when I started clojure.
I was puzzled which version to download and had to figure out there
was a free version (under 15 sec)
828K download.
found a reasonable tutorial immediately, got my first language smell
when I discovered that they wanted me to use a built-in editor,
quickly got over that when they said most rebol programmers use an
external editor.

Learning curve - far fewer 'strange' concepts than clojure, I came up
pretty fast, but it definitely has a toy language feel. I'm guessing
it'd be a lot like programming in visual basic - quick til you need to
do something 'off the rails' like handle a UDP stream, then hellish.
Looks like another attempt to make an ultra-friendly language at the
expense of power - a 'solution' that usually doesn't get you too far.

deployment - ok, so rebol looks bad to deploy. You have to install a
runtime and give out the source, both probably not very enterprise-
solution oriented sysadmin friendly. And the server side example uses
CGI, which doesn't pass the smell test.

Conclusion -
rebol actually might be a reasonable solution for a project I'm
talking to the biz guy about. It'd involve a whole bunch of objects in
a virtual world that need controlled from some web other end. Rebol
has deployment problems, I'll agree, but don't see them as relevant to
Clojure.

I think our friend's off base.