Hi, I would like to have syntax highlighting for Clojure code in
Emacs.  I am using Emacs on Windows (23.2.1).  I found this page:

http://dev.clojure.org/display/doc/Getting+Started+with+Emacs

... but it was clearly much more involved than I was looking for.
Nevertheless, I downloaded package.el, loaded it, set the location for
"marmalade", and gave it a shot, but as expected, it didn't work.  It
said, "Failed to download 'gnu' archive."

I would like to use Emacs as a text editor, not as a combination IDE/
ftp browser.  Is there a clojure mode written which is simple to
download and use?

I used ILISP for many years, and I've encountered SLIME when I was
using SBCL, but never got it working properly on Windows.  I know how
cool and powerful an integrated environment like ILISP can be, but
also how buggy it can be, and at the moment, I just don't think it's
worth the effort to get it working.  For now, I prefer to run Clojure
in a Command Prompt, and use Emacs solely as a text editor.

Thanks very much for any advice.