On Apr 28, 6:23 am, Phil Hagelberg <p...@hagelb.org> wrote:
> On Apr 27, 6:07 am, John V <johnv02...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So, I would include info about using -*- in
> > the .clj file and how to modify the auto-mode-alist and enable or
> > disable fontifying the buffer.
>
> This is the kind of thing that package.el does for you, (along with
> autoloading and byte-compiling) which is why doing it manually is not
> explained.

Ah, ok.  That could be handy.  It is pretty awkward the old-fashioned
way.  But how does it do it?  By writing out files into .emacs
or .emacs.d?

> It's more awkward right now because package.el is not included in
> Emacs 23, but once Emacs 24 is released, you won't have to install
> package.el yourself.
>
> -Phil

OK, but that wasn't my issue.  I did install package.el myself.  The
problem was the functionality of package.el, not the installation.

There's definitely something to be said for a simple "do it all"
installation, but the details shouldn't be completely hidden.  I'd
like to have the ability to understand what I'm downloading and what
the installation will change.

In any case, clojure-mode.el is working fine for me, so for now, I'm
happy.  :)  Thanks.