On Apr 27, 2:51 pm, Rasmus Svensson <r...@lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> I happened to have access to a computer running Windows 7 with exactly
> that Emacs version, so I thought I'd try to investigate the error.
> However, I could not reproduce it. For me, package.el was able to
> access the GNU repo. Maybe this was a network issue?

Yes, very likely.  But, I don't want to debug the network issue.  :)
(I'm using Windows XP, which could be relevant, but more likely it's a
problem with my proxy or some other network configuration issue.)  I
can try again from home later on.

> One thing you could try (if you still are interested in using
> package.el, that is) is to leave out the GNU repo, since it's not used
> in the tutorial. The Marmalade repo, which supersedes the original
> ELPA repo, should contain everything you need to follow the tutorial.
>
> In the instructions you linked, replace this:
>
> (add-to-list 'package-archives
>              '("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/";))
>
> with this:
>
> (setq package-archives
>       '(("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/";)))
>
> I could add "editing-only" instructions to the Getting Started page
> this evening. Do you have any comments regarding what they should
> contain?
>
> // raek

Thanks!  Well, of course the URL (which, by the way, turned into:
https://github.com/technomancy/clojure-mode
..., redirected from the URL you supplied), with perhaps an
explanation of the four files, specifically clojure-test-mode.el.  I'm
not sure, there is a delicate balance between writing enough for
beginners to follow, and being brief enough to not bore/annoy
experienced users.  I would prefer to err on the case of too much
information, particularly since I suspect that emacs is the best way
to edit Clojure files.  So, I would include info about using -*- in
the .clj file and how to modify the auto-mode-alist and enable or
disable fontifying the buffer.

I could take a swipe at writing something up if you like.