2011/4/27 John V <johnv02...@gmail.com>:
> Hi, I would like to have syntax highlighting for Clojure code in
> Emacs.  I am using Emacs on Windows (23.2.1).  I found this page:
>
> http://dev.clojure.org/display/doc/Getting+Started+with+Emacs
>
> ... but it was clearly much more involved than I was looking for.
> Nevertheless, I downloaded package.el, loaded it, set the location for
> "marmalade", and gave it a shot, but as expected, it didn't work.  It
> said, "Failed to download 'gnu' archive."

I happened to have access to a computer running Windows 7 with exactly
that Emacs version, so I thought I'd try to investigate the error.
However, I could not reproduce it. For me, package.el was able to
access the GNU repo. Maybe this was a network issue?

One thing you could try (if you still are interested in using
package.el, that is) is to leave out the GNU repo, since it's not used
in the tutorial. The Marmalade repo, which supersedes the original
ELPA repo, should contain everything you need to follow the tutorial.

In the instructions you linked, replace this:

(add-to-list 'package-archives
             '("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/";))

with this:

(setq package-archives
      '(("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/";)))

I could add "editing-only" instructions to the Getting Started page
this evening. Do you have any comments regarding what they should
contain?

// raek