On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 5:44 AM, Jan Rychter <jrych...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do we mere mortals (that develop and maintain large apps) migrate
> to 1.3?

It's a good question - and it's being discussed right now on the
clojure-dev list because the biggest obstacle to folks moving to
Clojure 1.3 is what to do about contrib...

> A quick grep through our code shows we depend on:

A lot of those libraries have no active maintainer - although I
suspect many of the things you're relying on in several of them have
already migrated into Clojure's core namespaces?

> clojure.contrib.command-line

clojure.tools.cli - although it's actually a completely different
library now (based on clargon).

> clojure.contrib.core

Mostly moved to clojure.core.incubator.

> clojure.contrib.def

Mostly moved to clojure.core.incubator.

> clojure.contrib.except

Still under discussion:
http://dev.clojure.org/display/design/Contrib+Library+Names

> clojure.contrib.io

Some of this moved to clojure.java.io I believe?

> clojure.contrib.java-utils

??

> clojure.contrib.json

clojure.data.json

> clojure.contrib.logging

clojure.tools.logging

> clojure.contrib.map-utils

??

> clojure.contrib.mmap

??

> clojure.contrib.seq

Looks like most of this was already promoted to clojure.core.

> clojure.contrib.seq-utils

(ClojureDocs shows the same contents for this as c.c.seq?)

> clojure.contrib.str-utils
> clojure.contrib.str-utils2
> clojure.contrib.string

Didn't most of those three get promoted to clojure.string a while back?

> clojure.contrib.trace

That just came up in discussion on clojure-dev but no volunteer has
stepped forward to maintain it yet I believe.

> clojure.contrib.zip-filter

Looks like it moved to clojure.data.zip?

> clojure.contrib.zip-filter.xml

Looks like it moved to clojure.data.zip.xml?

> I got some version numbers from github repo READMEs, some from
> manually listing directories under
> https://oss.sonatype.org/content/groups/public/org/clojure/

search.maven.org for org.clojure is probably the definitive word on
released versions:

http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Corg.clojure

> There must surely be a better way — any hints would be very much
> appreciated. Also, a suggestion for documentation maintainers: please
> think about people who have code based on 1.2 and haven't followed
> Clojure closely for the past 2 years or so — we lack a lot of context
> information that might be obvious to you. As an example, I managed to
> list lots of clojure.contrib modules before realizing that this
> particular modularization is obsolete and has already been abandoned
> in one of the alphas.

Definitely a big problem (lack of clear communication) and it seems
that Clojure/core has this on their radar now so hopefully things will
improve over the next few months.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/