On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 1:09 AM, Jan Rychter <jrych...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Take an example -- even in the relatively simple case of
> clojure.contrib.combinatorics: note that it is NOT listed on
> http://dev.clojure.org/display/doc/Clojure+Contrib, and if I follow
> the github repos I'll end up in https://github.com/clojure/math.combinatorics
> which tells me nothing about what I should add to project.clj (what is
> the latest released version, for instance).

That contrib has not been fully migrated yet. There is no build for it
(on build.clojure.org) and therefore it is not getting any Maven
releases yet.

> I have to say that from the point of view of application developers
> the current state of contrib likely means I won't be migrating to 1.3
> anytime soon. What's worse, I'll be left in a situation where there
> are bugs in 1.2 contrib which only get fixed in the 1.3 version, which
> I won't be able to use.

The new contrib modules are usable with Clojure 1.2 code by design
(and by mandate - the matrix tests are being run automatically against
Clojure 1.2, Clojure 1.2.1 and Clojure 1.3.0). See, for example, this
matrix for clojure.java.jdbc :
http://build.clojure.org/job/java.jdbc-test-matrix/

> I already have one such bug that I reported
> (and provided a fix) for clojure.contrib.json. It never made it into
> any contrib release, which means we have to use a locally-modified
> version.

If it hasn't been fixed in clojure.data.json, please create an issue
here : http://dev.clojure.org/jira/browse/DJSON

There should be a JIRA project for every active new contrib -
http://dev.clojure.org/jira

There should also be automated builds (both regular and matrix tests)
on build.clojure.org

> I think issues like that are fundamentally important if Clojure is to
> be adopted for production work.

I agree - which is why I'm pushing on clojure-dev for some serious
attention to be paid to the contrib migration issue.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."